Monday, July 23, 2012

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I just returned from a week-long conference in Charleston, SC for the National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA.) The conference was full of great research and presentations from Agricultural Extension Educators all across the country. I attended a presentation about starting a blog, and it was just the boost I needed to jump right in. (Thanks to Tonya Ashworth from University of Tennessee Extension.)

I have titled my blog "Feeding Coshocton and the World," because we have a diverse interest in agriculture here in Coshocton County. As your extension educator it is my pleasure to develop educational programming opportunities for all aspects of agriculture. From a local to a global scale, it is all important to our community and our economy.

A highlight of the conference for me was the Professional Improvement Tour day. I chose a topic I knew absolutely nothing about - Cotton Bales and Peanut Shells. Soon I'll be posting photos and videos from that very educational tour of three large peanut and cotton operations as well as a peanut processing & storage facility (imagine Coshocton Grain full of peanuts...)

One topic that was on everyone's mind is the drought. Please visit http://agnr.osu.edu/managing-drought-2012 to learn about the best ways to make it through this tough season. And take a moment to let us know your thoughts on how this summer compares to the drought of 1988 by taking the poll.

Now it's good to be home reenergized with lots of great ideas for educational programs. Look for details in the next few weeks about Agronomy School and Annie's Project (for women in agriculture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment